SMA Student Colloquium 2019 in Exeter
Society for Medieval Archaeology Student Colloquium 2019
See the Call for Papers.
The conference was entitled ‘Living and Dying in the Middle Ages: Approaches to Medieval Power and Identity’ and was be held at the University of Exeter, 27th – 29th November 2019.
We welcome papers from across the medieval period (5th-16th centuries) and from all geographical areas. Papers from subjects outside archaeology but with a broader medieval significance will also be considered. We are particularly keen to encourage those adopting an interdisciplinary approach. Abstracts of 150-250 words should be emailed to: email@example.com
Please include ‘Student Colloquium Abstract’ in the subject line and add up to 5 keywords alongside the abstract. Papers will be 15mins in length with additional time for questions.
We have 4x £50 travel bursaries to award students presenting at the conference, sponsored by Prof. James Clark, Associate Dean for Research for the College of Humanities at the University of Exeter, and we have prizes kindly donated by our sponsors will be awarded for the best student presentations!
The programme for the conference currently consists of two days of student presentations plus:
· A keynote presentation delivered by Dr Duncan Wright (BGU) entitled: Crafters of Kingship: Smiths, elite power, and gender in early medieval Europe’
· A ‘Getting Published’ workshop and Q&A panel delivered by current SMA journal editor Dr Aleks McClain (University of York) and previous editor Prof. Oliver Creighton (University of Exeter)
· An optional conference dinner at ASK Italian (£14.95 for 2 courses or £17.95 for 3 courses)
· And a free tour of medieval Exeter, on the third and final day, delivered by John Allan, Exeter Cathedral Archaeologist.
Registration is FREE for all members of the Society and £20 for all non-members. We would like to encourage membership with the Society as the cost of student membership is the same as the conference registration fee. For further information, please visit: http://medievalarchaeology.co.uk/how-to-join/ Registration is now open at: https://store.exeter.ac.uk/conferences-and-events/college-of-humanities/events/society-for-medieval-archaeology-student-colloquium
Members of the Society will require a code to secure their free ticket – this will be emailed to all members of the society but if there are any issues please do not hesitate to get in touch by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, registration for the conference will close on 13th November 2019.
If you are travelling to the conference by train we have secured you a great discount on your travel with our partners at Great Western Rail when you purchase your tickets through the following link: www.gwr.com/conferences
Please be sure to take note of the following FAQs:
· The outbound leg of the journey is fixed and is non changeable
· The return leg is fully flexible
· The ticket is not refundable outside of normal conditions of carriage
· The delegate must present proof of conference attendance. A delegate may be asked to provide this proof by the train manager and failure to do so may result in having to pay the difference on a full price anytime ticket. Proof can be in the form of acceptance letter or email to the relevant email.
If the fare is not available check the station you are departing from. It must be a GWR station on the GWR network. Certain station near to the venue station may not applicable to receive the Conference fare